How can I safely whiten my dentures without ruining them? I clean and soak them daily, but they look dull. Thanks. Walter
Thank you for contacting 5 Star Dental Group in San Antonio. Dr. Tostado or Dr. Acuña would need to examine your dentures to determine the cause of stains or discoloration and recommend how to proceed. We will explain when and how you can whiten dentures.
How Can You Whiten Your Dentures?
You can whiten your denture with regular soaking and using denture cleaning products if they are not worn, old, or made with low-quality materials. The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends the following to keep your dentures white:
- Follow the instructions for denture cleaning products
- Develop a routine for cleaning your dentures
- Select products with the ADA seal of approval to ensure they are effective
The Journal of Microbiology published an October 2018 article on the frequency of denture cleaning that confirms the following about regularly cleaning your dentures:
- Reduces plaque buildup on denture teeth
- Reduces plaque buildup on denture surfaces that fit your oral tissue
- Requires a routine that includes soaking and brushing your dentures
Nonabrasive denture cleaning products
You can find nonabrasive denture cleansers in these forms:
Regularly soaking your dentures has the following benefits:
- Reduces bacteria buildup on denture teeth, which can lead to stains or discoloration
- Helps you maintain good oral health
- Keeps your breath fresh
What If Your Dentures Still Look Dull?
If your dentures look dull despite thorough daily cleaning, speak with your dentist. Depending on the condition and age of your dentures, your dentist can polish yellow or stained dentures and help them look brighter. However, if your dentures are worn or old, you may need to replace them.
Schedule an appointment with a cosmetic dentist to examine your denture and determine if polishing them will improve the stains. Otherwise, the dentist may recommend replacing your dentures or denture teeth.
San Antonio dentists Dr. Gilberto Tostado and Dr. Karina Acuña sponsor this post. Read how they strive to provide patients with some of the best dental care in San Antonio.
You may also read about the importance of denture fit in our post, My Dentures Are Leaving Sores on My Gums.