Your dental cleaning appointment at 5 Star Dental Group in San Antonio is an hour of personalized, gentle treatment. You will get attentive care and thorough results from our hygienists, Vicki and Karen, who have decades of experience helping patients achieve good oral health.
Our hygienists’ concern for your well-being is evident in these ways:
- Thorough cleaning: Rather than rush to clean your teeth in 30 to 45 minutes as happens in many offices, Vicki or Karen will spend an hour with you to give you a thorough cleaning.
- Attentive care: Our hygienists are known for their gentleness. Our anxious and nervous patients say they appreciate the kind, understanding care they get during dental cleanings.
- Continuing education: Our team regularly attends continuing education courses to stay abreast of current technology and techniques.
- Holistic health education: Our hygienists will answer all your questions and enjoy educating patients on the connections between oral hygiene and overall well-being.
What Is Dental Cleaning?
Dental cleaning is a dental procedure to remove tartar (calculus) buildup from your teeth as well as plaque. When calculus remains on the teeth, it is an irritant to the gums and a safe harbor for destructive bacteria. If not removed, it will eventually cause serious gum disease including the loss of the bony support of your teeth. Ordinarily performed twice a year, some patients who accumulate calculus more readily or have a history of gum disease may need cleanings more frequently.
“I had the most welcoming experience at 5 Star Dental Group. Vicki gave me the most careful and comfortable dental cleaning ever.” – Edwin T.
What Are the Benefits of Routine Dental Cleaning?
Routine teeth cleaning has long-term advantages:
- Prevents gum disease
- Removes teeth stains, brightening your smile
- Promotes early detection and treatment of dental disease
- Reduces the risk of costly dental treatment
- Supports the longevity of your teeth
How Often Do You Need Dental Cleaning?
Dr. Tostado or Dr. Acuña Malo will recommend a dental cleaning schedule for your unique needs. Although six months is the usual frequency for dental cleaning, you may need more frequent cleaning if you have gum disease risks.
Will You Need a Deep Dental Cleaning?
Our doctors may recommend deep cleaning (scaling and root planing) if you have signs of moderate or advanced gum disease. The presence of calculus (tartar) below the gumline promotes the destruction of the gum tissue and the bony support of the teeth, creating deep pockets around the teeth. Deep cleaning gets into these pockets to remove calculus from the roots of your teeth. It is usually performed with local anesthetic.
How Can You Keep Your Teeth Clean at Home?
Keep your teeth clean at home by brushing twice daily and flossing daily to remove particles that breed bacteria. While home care is essential, dental cleanings from our skilled hygienists protect teeth from stubborn plaque and tartar buildup that you can’t remove at home.
“Karen is kind, gentle, and detail-oriented. I always get a ton of compliments on my smile after she cleans my teeth!” – Summer R.
No Insurance? Enroll in Our Wellness Program
Dr. Tostado and Dr. Acuña Malo make dental care accessible if you don’t have dental insurance or are out-of-network. 5 Star Dental Group offers a wellness program to help make dental treatment more affordable. An adult or child subscription to the program includes:
- Two dental cleanings yearly
- One to two exams yearly
- X-rays as needed and determined by our doctors
- One emergency exam yearly
- A ten percent discount on other dental treatments
- Fluoride treatment for children aged 12 and under
Please read our 5 Star Dental Group membership page for details on program options, answers to FAQs, or information on signing up for membership.
5 Star Dental Group welcomes you to schedule a consultation, an exam, or a teeth cleaning appointment. We are ready to give you thorough, attentive care.