Dentures are artificial teeth to restore your smile when all your teeth are missing, or your remaining teeth are unsavable. A complete denture replaces an entire arch of upper or lower missing teeth. A partial denture replaces one or more missing teeth. Regardless of age and why you lost your teeth, you deserve comfortable, natural-looking replacement teeth. San Antonio prosthodontist Dr. Gilberto Tostado designs custom dentures that fit your mouth precisely and look natural.
The Limitations of Dentures
Even the best denture will never compare to how your natural teeth feel and function. Bite strength and chewing ability decrease severely with dentures, and false teeth will not prevent the facial profile changes accompanying tooth loss. An implant-supported denture is ideal if you want to avoid those problems.
For many people, however, a removable denture is their only tooth replacement option. As long as it is made well with a quality base and teeth, it is possible to have a well-functioning and beautiful denture.
Dentures by Dr. Tostado
Dr. Tostado is a dental specialist called a prosthodontist. He specializes in creating dental restorations and replacement teeth. Dr. Tostado pursued a three-year residency in prosthodontics after receiving his dental degree and acquired extra experience in designing quality dentures during this time.
Dr. Tostado uses our on-site dental lab’s best materials when designing dentures. For example, he uses a brand of denture teeth called Ivoclar that is remarkably durable and lifelike.
Many of Dr. Tostado’s denture patients initially came to him because they were unhappy with their current dentures. He enjoys helping patients build new smiles with a thorough denture design process.
- You will have a detailed consultation with Dr. Tostado to discuss the goals you want to achieve with your denture.
- Dr. Tostado will take an impression of your mouth to create a custom tray.
- Dr. Tostado will use your custom tray to take the next set of detailed impressions, which capture the minor details of the shape of your gums and the underlying bone.
- Dr. Tostado uses a dental device called an articulator to re-create the dimensions and motions of your upper and lower jaw. Many dentists do not use this step because it requires careful measurements of your face and jaw, but this step is essential in creating a comfortable denture with a harmonious bite.
- After your smile and bite are designed, you will get a trial fitting of your teeth, called a wax try-in, to ensure they look and feel the way you want and do not interfere with proper speech.
- Dr. Tostado will make any needed adjustments to your denture, which will be processed in our on-site laboratory.
Making a quality denture takes time since there are several crucial steps. You would be disappointed with a denture made in a rush and skipped any of those steps. You can expect your denture process to take multiple appointments.
If you are interested in a comfortable custom denture with natural-looking teeth, call us or complete our Request an Appointment form.