Dentures are the treatment of last resort if you have no teeth left or if you will soon have your remaining teeth extracted. Whatever the reason for your tooth loss and no matter your age, you deserve a set of teeth that are comfortable and look natural.
A Disclaimer About Dentures
Even the best denture will never compare to how your natural teeth feel and function. Bite strength and chewing ability are severely reduced with dentures and false teeth won’t prevent the facial profile changes that accompany tooth loss. If you want to avoid those problems, implant-supported dentures is a wonderful option. You can read our page about that service.
For many people, however, a removable denture really is their only tooth replacement option in spite of the drawbacks. As long as it’s made well, it is possible to have a well-functioning and beautiful denture.
Dentures by Dr. Tostado
Dr. Tostado is a dental specialist called a prosthodontist. As such, he specializes in creating dental restorations and replacement teeth. Dr. Tostado pursued a three-year residency in prosthodontics after receiving his dental degree and he acquired extra experience in designing quality dentures during this time.
Dr. Tostado uses the best materials he can find when designing his dentures, which are made right here in our on-site dental lab. For example, he uses a brand of denture teeth called Ivoclar, which is known for being particularly durable and lifelike.
Getting Dentures: What to Expect
Many of Dr. Tostado’s denture patients initially came to him because they were unhappy with their current set of dentures. He enjoys helping patients to build new smiles with a thorough denture design process.
Here’s how that process could look for you:
- You’ll have a detailed consultation with Dr. Tostado to discuss the goals you want to achieve with your denture.
- Dr. Tostado will take an impression of your mouth to create a custom tray.
- Dr. Tostado will use your custom tray to take the next set of detailed impressions which capture the smallest details of the shape of your gums and the underlying bone.
- Dr. Tostado uses a dental device called an articulator to re-create the dimensions and motions of your upper and lower jaw. Many dentists don’t use this step because it requires careful measurements of your face and jaw, but this step is important in creating a comfortable denture with a harmonious bite.
- After your smile and bite are designed, you will get a trial fitting of your teeth, called a wax try-in, to make sure they look and feel the way you want, and that they don’t interfere with proper speech.
- Dr. Tostado will make any needed adjustments to your denture, and it will be processed in our on-site laboratory.
You can expect your denture process to take multiple appointments. Making a quality denture takes time since there are several crucial steps. You would be disappointed with a denture that was made in a rush and skipped any of those steps.
If you’re interested in getting fitted for a new denture, give us a call or fill out our Request an Appointment form.