Should I request an implant denture over root canals and a bridge? I have a four-piece bridge for two missing teeth, both my right and left center teeth. Both teeth have posts, but the post in the right central incisor broke, and the other behind it needs a root canal. I am concerned that my teeth are too fragile for another bridge. When I saw a dentist two weeks ago, she mentioned that she would watch three other teeth that may need root canals soon. I am so tired of patchwork teeth. I can’t afford to replace the bad teeth with a dental implant, but with so many teeth that need repair and missing second molars, is an implant denture the most logical option for me? The dentist didn’t mention a denture, but I am tired of my teeth and smile. Thank you. Floritzell from Miami
Thank you for contacting Five Star Dental Group of San Antonio regarding an implant denture. Dr. Tostado or Dr. Acuña must examine and x-ray your teeth to evaluate their condition and recommend treatment. But we will provide general guidelines.
What Is the Treatment for a Broken Tooth Post?
Treatment for a broken tooth post depends on the condition of the tooth. Below are a few factors to consider:
- Location of the break – A post that breaks at the gumline limits the techniques a dentist can use to remove it.
- Tooth structure – If dentists lack clear access to a post, they may drill away tooth structure around it. The tooth will be smaller and weaker, making replacing the post with a new one difficult.
- Existing restorations – When a post tooth is part of a dental bridge, the dentist must remove the bridge to access the tooth.
Should You Request an Implant Denture or a Bridge?
Preserving healthy natural teeth is preferred to removing your remaining teeth and replacing your dental bridge with an implant denture. Factors to consider include:
- How many upper teeth you have left
- The condition of your teeth
- Your oral health and function
- Whether your teeth can support another dental bridge
- Whether you qualify for dental implants to support a denture
A dentist may recommend replacing your dental bridge with individual implants.
Request an Implant Overdenture Consultation
If you are interested in an implant overdenture, consult with a prosthodontist (a specialist in tooth restoration and replacement). After a comprehensive exam, x-rays, and a 3-D CT scan, the dentist will explain your options for restoring your teeth and smile.
San Antonio dentists Dr. Gilberto Tostado and Dr. Karina Acuña sponsor this post.