Losing your teeth can make you self-conscious about smiling or wonder if you can eat or socialize comfortably. While traditional dentures are an option, they probably won’t provide the stability and functionality you want. Dr. Gilberto Tostado and Dr. Karina Acuña Malo of San Antonio offer hybrid implants that combine replacement teeth and dental implants for highly functional results and a natural-looking smile.
What Is a Hybrid Implant?
A hybrid implant is a nonremovable or fixed dental restoration that screws onto dental implants surgically placed in your jawbone. It provides a secure fit and increased stability compared with a removable complete denture.
An implant bridge is a custom-made fixed dental restoration for replacing an arch of teeth. The replacement teeth screw onto four, six, or more dental implants surgically placed into the jawbone, providing a secure anchor for your replacement teeth. A hybrid implant denture adds pink acrylic to the teeth to simulate gum tissue. It is the most popular implant-supported denture. Four or more implants are used to secure the replacement teeth.
What Are the Advantages of Hybrid Implants?
Hybrid implants have functional and aesthetic advantages to improve your quality of life.
- Enhanced stability and retention: Dental implants anchor the prosthesis, eliminating the need for messy denture adhesives.
- Improved chewing ability: Securely attached hybrid teeth support natural chewing, fully restoring your ability to enjoy a full variety of foods.
- Clearer speech: Unlike a removable complete denture that loosens over time, your denture will remain stable. You can speak clearly and more confidently without worrying about clicking, slipping, or shifting.
- Preserved jawbone: Dental implants help stimulate your jawbone, preventing bone shrinkage and facial collapse associated with tooth loss.
- Natural-looking smile: They closely resemble natural teeth, enabling you to smile confidently.
What Is the Hybrid Implant Process?
Obtaining hybrid dentures typically involves the following steps:
- Comprehensive evaluation: Dr. Gilberto Tostado is a prosthodontist—a specialist with advanced training in the replacement of missing teeth. In addition, Dr. Acuña Malo has advanced training in oral surgery. They will thoroughly review your dental condition and medical and dental histories to assess your candidacy for hybrid dentures.
- 3D cone-beam CT scan: The CT scan will measure your jawbone volume and aid in planning implant placement.
- Dental implant surgery: Dr. Acuña Malo will use digital technology and a surgical guide to place the dental implants. You will wear temporary replacement teeth while waiting several months for your implants and jawbone to integrate fully.
- Final replacement teeth: Dr. Tostado will craft custom replacement teeth for you that will look and feel natural. They will be placed after your implants and jawbone fuse. Patients comment that it feels like they have their natural teeth back.
Schedule a Consultation
If you are considering hybrid implants as an alternative to a removable complete denture, we welcome you to schedule a consultation. We will thoroughly assess your needs, answer your questions, and determine whether you can benefit from a hybrid denture or an alternative. Call us to schedule a consultation or complete our Request an Appointment form.