I already have a lower denture and wonder if I can get implants to snap them on. How would the snap-in denture work? Does it matter that I’ve had the denture for five years, or would I need to start with a new denture to snap on implants? Thanks. – Corey P. from Deer Park, NY
Thank you for your question. It is good that you are considering implants for your lower denture because the procedure will improve your overall experience with denture function and comfort.
Can You Get Implants for Your Lower Denture?
Whether you can get implants for your lower denture to snap on depends on several factors, including:
- Your oral health
- The condition, function, and quality of your current denture
- Your bone quality and volume
- Dental implant position
- Your smile goals
An implant dentist will review your medical and dental histories and take a 3-D CT scan to evaluate your oral health. They will also examine your denture and determine whether it can be modified for dental implants.
What Is the Process?
If you qualify for dental implants, a dentist will take a 3-D model of your mouth to determine the best location for the implants. These steps follow:
- Make a small incision through your gum and bone for each implant
- Insert the implants in your bone
- Close the surgical site
- Prepare the site so you can wear temporary replacement teeth
- Wait three to four months for your implants and bone to fuse
How Can Your Current Denture Snap onto Dental Implants?
Your current denture can snap onto dental implants after a dentist prepares the denture base. After placing your dental implants, a dentist will take these steps:
- Make a plastic mold of your denture
- Mark the location of the implants on the mold
- Adapt your denture base and embed O-rings to snap onto dental implants
- Snap your denture on and check it for fit and proper bite
Schedule a Consultation
If you are interested in adapting your existing denture for dental implants, schedule a consultation with a skilled implant dentist. In San Antonio, Texas, Dr. Gilberto Tostado is an implant dentist and prosthodontist with decades of experience with dentures and dental implant surgery. Read about Dr. Tostado’s training and experience.