Dental implants are the best treatment for replacing missing teeth because they mimic natural tooth structure. Still, dental implants are not right for everyone or may not be within your budget. We will explain two options if you need an alternative to a dental implant.
What Is an Alternative to a Dental Implant?
A removable partial denture is an alternative to a dental implant. A traditional removable partial denture has a framework that is either metal or pink gum-colored plastic. Artificial gums and replacement teeth attach to the base, and the denture clips on your adjacent teeth.
Partial Denture Advantages and Disadvantages
Partial denture advantages and disadvantages are related to their structure and cost. Consider the pros and cons:
- One appliance can replace multiple teeth.
- They are less expensive than a fixed dental bridge.
- They cost much less than a dental implant.
- If the framework is metal, you can see the clasps from it around your adjacent teeth.
- They are less stable than dental implants and bridges.
- Wearing the hardware can cause some discomfort.
- They attach to adjacent teeth and can weaken them over time.
Precision Attachment Partial Denture
The precision attachment partial denture is plastic with a metal framework. Interlocking components extend from the denture and secure to crowns or bridgework.
- It has a better fit and looks than a removable partial denture.
- The claps are virtually invisible.
- It is less stable than a dental bridge and dental implants.
- It is more expensive than a removable partial denture.
What Is a Dental Flipper?
A dental flipper is the least expensive partial denture, but it is for temporary use. A flipper has an acrylic base. After a dentist takes an impression of your mouth, a dental laboratory will make the flipper. The pink base fits your palate or the inside of your gums, depending on whether you are missing an upper or lower tooth. A replacement tooth that matches the shade of your natural teeth attaches to the plate. At an additional cost, the dental lab can attach metal wires to the plate so that you can clip the flipper onto your teeth and wear it longer.
- It is less expensive than other partial dentures and much less expensive than a dental implant.
- It is temporary. If you wear it for an extended period, it is not healthy for your gums.
- It breaks easily. You may need to remove it when you eat.
If you need a partial denture as an alternative to a dental implant, you still want it to be as natural looking and comfortable as possible. Dr. Gilberto Tostado’s advanced training and experience in prosthodontics and cosmetic dentistry will ensure your complete or partial denture fits well and looks natural. Read about Dr. Tostado’s training and experience.
Contact our office to request a no-obligation consultation with Dr. Tostado to discuss your options or request an exam.