I want the silver fillings out of my mouth because of the mercury in them, but I want to avoid side effects. I have a cousin who is very health conscious. She says that I shouldn’t let my regular dentist take the fillings out and that I should go to a biological or holistic dentist (is there a difference?) instead. Would a holistic dentist remove fillings differently than a regular dentist would? I don’t want to go to a dentist who charges more for a fancy name and a “special process” that I cannot afford. Thanks. Journey from Hempstead, NY
Thank you for your question.
How Can You Get Silver Fillings Removed Without Any Side Effects?
You can get silver (amalgam) fillings removed without any side effects by visiting a dentist who practices sanitary amalgam removal. Although holistic or biological dentists practice sanitary amalgam (silver fillings) removal, each dentist’s procedure may vary. Some general dentists that do not advertise as holistic dentists still use a process that minimizes mercury exposure while removing amalgam fillings.
In general, you can expect the following steps:
- Rinse your mouth with a solution that binds to the mercury
- Isolate the affected teeth with a rubber dam to prevent amalgam particles from floating around in your mouth
- Give you pure oxygen to breathe while extracting the silver fillings
- Divide the amalgam fillings into pieces for easier removal
- Use a high-speed oral vacuum to remove the bits of amalgam
- Rinse your mouth clean with a mercury-binding solution that removes residue from your mouth
- Prepare your teeth for composite fillings
How Long Does Sanitary Amalgam Removal Take?
Sanitary amalgam removal takes less than a minute per tooth. You will spend most of your time in the dental chair while the dentist prepares your teeth for composite fillings, places them, and light-cures them. Switching from amalgam to composite fillings can take 60 to 90 minutes, depending on the number of teeth affected.
Schedule a Consultation
You can schedule consultations with one or two cosmetic dentists who practice holistic dentistry or sanitary amalgam removal. Each dentist will provide details on how they safely remove the fillings while minimizing your exposure to amalgam particles.
San Antonio prosthodontist and cosmetic dentist Dr. Gilberto Tostado sponsors this post.