The goal of the best cosmetic dentist in San Antonio is to get children in the habit of performing healthy dental care as young as possible to help ensure good dental health throughout their lives. That is why February is Children’s Dental Health Month, offering families the chance to learn about the tips that promote proper dental care and healthy teeth in children.
The following are some tips for brushing and gum care to help keep your children’s teeth looking great and set them up for a lifetime of taking proper care of their teeth.
Start Good Dental Health Practices Early
Oral care for new babies can begin after the child within a few days of joining the world. Your baby’s mouth can be cleaned after feeding and before bed using a damp washcloth or gauze.
Baby teeth begin to show with six months to a year. Without proper care and attention, your baby’s teeth can show signs of decay. Cleaning can begin as soon as their first tooth breaks through. Some tips to keep in mind as you send your child on their way to healthy dental habits include:
- Toothbrush: Use a child-sized, soft toothbrush that has been soaked in warm water to soften the brush further. Your child’s toothbrush should be replaced every few months when wear begins to show.
- Toothpaste: The American Dental Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics advise using a pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste starting when the first tooth appears. When the child reaches the age of 3 and their baby teeth have all come in, it is safer to use this pea-sized amount in case of swallowing.
- Twice Daily: Your children’s teeth should be thoroughly brushed in the morning and before bed. Cavities frequently develop first in the back molars. Extra care on those teeth in the back of the mouth will help to ward off cavities later in life.
- Flossing: Flossing can begin when two teeth grow in and are touching each other. Floss sticks or picks may be easier to maneuver and be more comfortable for the child.
- Mouthwash: Children will generally not have the motor skills to effectively spit and rinse mouthwash until they reach the age of 6. A fluoride mouth rinse can help to prevent cavities and tooth decay in older children.
Child Dental Care Prevents Adult Teeth Problems
The best reason to teach your child good dental care is to avoid painful, costly problems when they grow up, avoiding the need to take porcelain veneers before and after photos, and prevent the need for cosmetic dentistry San Antonio uses to keep their Texas-sized smiles.
Take the stigma off by going to the dentist early and get your child started on the path to healthy, great-looking teeth by visiting the 5 Star Dental Group and having them see the best dentist in San Antonio within the first few months after breaking their first tooth.
Whether it’s just a routine teeth whitening session, or you’d like to take cosmetic dentistry B & A pictures, contact 5 Star Dental Group today with any questions and schedule your child’s first or next dentist appointment.